If you’re above 18, it’s time you should get a driving licence. More so if you’re from Mumbai! Trust us, when we say that’s great to have a driving license. It’s the feeling of freedom which just makes it wonderful. Now you can drive your car everywhere! Along with your friends on that road-trip you always wanted to take! Or just on your daily commute! Isn’t it great to be able to escape all of it by just taking a drive down the Bandra-Worli Sea-Link?
A driving driving licence is more than just a mandatory document required by the government when you’re behind the wheel. It’s the feeling of just non-confinement, isn’t it? Most of us wait till we turn 18 because we always dream about driving our car. But it’s also important to not forget, that at the end of the day, if you want to be behind the wheel, you also need to have a valid driving license.
A driving licence is mandatory in all countries. As, this helps keeping in check the people who are allowed to drive creating a database. This database is created to keep in-check criminal activities, accidents and other road incidents. However, before you are granted a license, you have to fill out certain forms and furnish documents.
A driving licence is issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO). In Mumbai, it is issued by one of the several RTO’s. Regardless of which RTO issues you the driving licence, you can use it to drive anywhere in India. However. if you’re travelling abroad, you can apply for an international driver’s licence.
Since all states have different rules pertaining to driving licences. Let’s take the city of Mumbai today to understand how the RTO’s in the city of Mumbai function.
Mumbai is the capital of Maharashtra. It is also the financial capital of India. And, over the recent few years, the Maharashtra government has been pushing out services to obtain, renew a duplicate driving license all online!
This is applicable for both a Learner’s License (LL) as well as a Permanent Driving License (DL). The government also made obtaining a duplicate of your driving license super easy! So, let’s go ahead and take a look at how to get your driving license if you’re residing in Mumbai!
There are several types of driving licenses available for you obtain in Mumbai. Let’s take a look at them below:
– Two-Wheeler Vehicle License: For both geared and non-geared two-wheelers. Generally granted to individuals above the age of 16 only.
– Four-Wheeler Vehicle License: For both geared and automatic cars. Generally granted to individuals above the age of 18 only.
– Commercial Vehicle License: Commercial transport vehicles such as tempos come under this category. Generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
– Transport Vehicle License: Trucks, buses, and other mid/heavy vehicles come under this type of a license. Generally granted to individuals above the age of 20 only.
Now, it’s easier than ever to apply for a driving license online in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Let’s check out the procedure to do that:
– All you have to do is visit the website setup by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways. This website is called Sarthi.
– Once you’re on the website, you can select the option to “Apply for a new LL/DL”. (Learner License / Driving License)
– This will let you download the entire form from the website.
– After downloading the form, all you have to do is fill it and submit it back on the website. All of this can be done digitally and you don’t need to print the form.
– To book an appointment at your district RTO in Mumbai, all you need to do is pre-book the slot online.
– You can do this by going to the Transport website of Maharashtra. This website is called, Motor Vehicles Department, Maharashtra.
– Under Citizen Services, you can book an appointment for your learner’s license or for your permanent driving license.
– You can also personally visit your district RTO (Ex: Andheri RTO), to book an appointment slot. If you have filled the form online, please make sure to carry the form to the RTO.
– You need to get your documents verified before taking the test. You do this by visiting the RTO at the appointment time chosen by you.
– At the RTO, you will need to verify your documents.
– The RTO accepts documents such as passport, Aadhaar, Voter’s ID. You also need to carry passport size photographs. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
– They will collect a small fee of less than Rs. 200.
– After which, you can give the test online and the license is issued on the same day, if you pass. If you fail, you can try again the next day.
– The test questions you on the rules and regulations of the road, so we suggest you brush up on that.
– The learner’s license is valid only for 6 months. So, make sure you visit the RTO and apply for a permanent driving license before those 6 months lapse. Otherwise, you will have to repeat the entire process again.
– After booking the appointment online, you have to get your documents verified and submit your forms too.
– The Form 4, which is available online has to be filled. This form is the application for a driving license.
– Carry documents such as your Aadhaar, passport, voter ID, etc. This is to prove your identity, address proof, date of birth, etc.
– A small fee of under Rs. 500 will be charged to process your application.
– You will also have to give a driving test at the RTO in front of an official appointed by the RTO.
– The learning license issued in Mumbai will only be valid in the state of Maharashtra.
– The documents you submit to the RTO need to prove your permanent resident address, nationality, age, and other details. Please make sure to carry these documents in original.
– A permanent driving licence usually reaches your permanent address within 30 working days.
– A permanent driving licence is valid for 20 years from the date of issue.
We hope with this post, it is clear on how to apply and obtain a driving licence if you’re a resident of Mumbai! You can look at our previous posts about how to check the status of your driving licence application! We have also done posts on renewing your driving licence and also on obtaining an international driving licence!
Share This page
© 2020 Navi Technologies Pvt Ltd. All rights are reserved.