Not everyone aligns with the allopathic way of treatment in times of sickness. Many individuals prefer traditional healthcare practices such as Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, or Homeopathy. Ayurveda is one of the oldest medical practices, deep-rooted in the Indian culture. At the same time, many other alternative treatment systems like Unani or Homeopathy originated outside India but have now become an integral part of the Indian healthcare system. The government of India has adopted several schemes to bring back these alternative medical practices to the forefront. It has established an AYUSH ministry to promote alternative healthcare practices in the country. The AYUSH ministry was created in 2014, which further introduced the National Accreditation Board for Hospitals (NABH) to ensure quality in the hospitals providing AYUSH treatments. Furthermore, to expand the reach of these alternative medical practices, the IRDAI directed the policy insurers to encompass the coverage of AYUSH treatments in their healthcare plans. So, now many health insurance plans cover the cost of AYUSH treatment availed by policyholders at any of the approved healthcare institutions.
AYUSH an abbreviation for Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy. This concept encourages holistic wellness in patients by the amalgamation of conventional and modern restorative practices. The medical approach in AYUSH treatments includes concoctions and preparations from natural ingredients, thereby easily ingested and absorbed by the body, with the additional benefit of minimal side effects. What's more, AYUSH offers several advantages over allopathy as well. For instance, AYUSH is centered on subduing the disease instead of just the symptoms. By incorporating organic components for various treatments, AYUSH has emerged as a cost-effective alternative to conventional medical approaches.
However, like any other health insurance policy, availing of AYUSH treatments coverage is highly beneficial to ensure a hassle-free financial situation during the course of treatment. Particularly, as of late, a significant number of individuals have made a shift from conventional medication to AYUSH treatments. The government authorities are also attempting to promote these substitute treatment therapies by opening dedicated emergency clinics for Ayurveda. In fact, factually, more than 50 emergency clinics nationwide are licensed and approved to provide AYUSH treatment to patients. To further facilitate the patients seeking AYUSH treatment, healthcare insurers have introduced the AYUSH treatment coverage under their medical insurance policies and plans.
Health insurance covering ayurvedic treatment was encompassed by the insurance companies after the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) directions. As of today, several benefits are available under the AYUSH health insurance policy.
Individuals with Health insurance policies and staunch belief in alternative treatment therapies, without any doubt, can go for healthcare policy covering AYUSH treatment(s), for the elemental reasons that AYUSH cover plays a huge role in: -
● Natural ailments
● Drug therapies
● Mental healthcare
● Lifestyle conditions
● Revival therapies
● Overall wellbeing
Here is a rundown of the benefits covered under AYUSH treatment:
● Health insurance policy covering AYUSH treatments offers coverage for all expenses incurred concerning all the alternative treatments as mentioned in the policy.
● The treatment expenses incurred during the in-patient treatment encompassing Ayurveda, Yoga, and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy are covered.
● The protection under this benefit may span somewhere in the range of Rs. 2,500 to Rs. 50,000 sometimes even up to base sum insured, contingent upon the conditions, which the policyholder decides on.
The AYUSH treatment does not cover:
● Hospitalization under 24-hour time-frame.
● It is important to consider that this alternative treatment coverage offers expense coverage only for the treatments received in government hospitals or any medical facility recognized by the government or by the Quality Council of India/National Accreditation Board on Health (NABH).
● AYUSH Benefit does not cover the outpatient medical expenses, pre, and post-hospitalization costs and daycare plans, encompassing the AYUSH treatment.
The most important advantages of signing up for an AYUSH health care coverage are as follows: -
● Provides a more comprehensive way to deal with medical treatments, with the prime focus on the patient's overall wellbeing. Natural medication is the elemental building block of these alternative treatments, included under AYUSH.
● AYUSH treatment concentrates on curing the diseases rather than just reducing the symptoms, with no to minimal side effects.
● Though the AYUSH treatments are usually prolonged, they are known to be profoundly viable, promising, highly effective results.
● Senior citizens are generally inclined towards AYUSH treatment, so a health insurance policy with AYUSH benefit cover helps with the cost of the treatment even after retirement.
● The AYUSH cover can be availed at any of the approved locations listed in the policy document.
● The paradigm shift being witnessed towards alternative treatment therapies is supported by health insurance providers through the AYUSH benefit cover.
● AYUSH treatment is financially more suitable for many policyholders in contrast to available allopathic treatment.
Q. Which health insurance covers Ayurveda?
A. Many health insurance policies offer coverage for the cost of AYUSH treatments. You must check with your insurer to determine the best available health insurance policy as per your requirements.
Q. What is AYUSH coverage in health insurance?
A. The health insurance coverage provided for AYUSH treatments, that is, Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy, is known as the AYUSH coverage in health insurance. Aligning with the gaining popularity of these alternative treatments, IDRAI in 2013 directed the insurance provides to incorporate AYUSH coverage in health insurance plans. Furthermore, the government of India took measures to promote this age-old traditional medical facility by constituting the Ministry of AYUSH in 2014, which was responsible for the control of institutions, organizations, and research councils related to the AYUSH related treatments.
Q. Is naturopathy covered by health insurance?
A. Along with Ayurvedic treatments that are covered readily by most insurance providers; the same facility is extended to other alternative treatments such as Unani, Naturopathy, Homeopathy, Yoga, and Siddha. So, you can avail naturopathy treatments from approved institutions listed with your insurer under your AYUSH benefit cover.
Q. Does medical insurance cover Ayurvedic treatment?
A. Considering the necessity of alternative healthcare facilities such the Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy treatments, several healthcare insurance providers have incorporated policies and plans for these alternative treatments. However, the extent of coverage is variable, depending on the insurance provider. Whereas some insurers cover almost all the alternative treatments, some only cover the Ayurvedic treatments under their medical insurance plans.
Q. Are there any exclusions under AYUSH benefit cover?
A. Your AYUSH benefit cover will cover the cost of alternative therapies availed in a government hospital as well as an institute that has been recognized by the government and/or accredited by Quality Council of India/National Accreditation Board on Health. Any AYUSH treatments received at any unapproved institution will not be covered. Moreover, investigative and evaluative treatments/therapies will not be covered under this policy.
Share This page
© 2020 Navi Technologies Pvt Ltd. All rights are reserved.